Tuesday, June 29, 2010
So, a few weeks ago, I decided to re-visit it and got out the sheet of slides and began to study them. I decided to do it larger, this time, and in a square format. I also knew that using transparent glazes on the shadowed portion of the wall and table was a mistake and that this time I would work with mostly opaque paints and scumbled layers. (aside: a 'scumble' is a layer that is loosely applied so that what is under it still shows through, but it is like a 'veil' instead of being like a transparent gel filter, which is how a 'glaze' layer behaves.) I also have learned a great deal about compensating for the shortcomings of photographic references. A piece of film, or a sensor, cannot see nearly as well as your eye can, so taking this into account is critical unless you are trying to emulate the vagaries of photography in your paintings.
Finally, I wanted the wall to be 'solid', to have a feeling that you could almost reach out and put your hand on it. I added the crack in the plaster, which I had omitted in the previous two paintings, but which was there in the actual wall. I realized that the crack anchors the wall and is a necessary part of the piece. So, make your own decision about whether or not you like the latest version better. I have already decided that I am going to paint this scene AGAIN, in about two or three years....so, I can see if I am really improving and learning as I go.