Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Why is the media avoiding using the 'T' word?



   I spent three years in the U.S. Army as a 'light weapons infantryman'.  Not only was I a 'grunt', I volunteered to be one. I suppose I was a combination of being a rambunctious kid and being blissfully unaware of the day to day realities of carrying a rifle and spending 24-7 getting down and dirty in the field. There were times when I could not remember when I had my last shower, and bathing out of a steel helmet is not as glamorous as it might sound. And, none of this even takes into consideration what it means to have an enemy who is doing his damnedest to kill you.  I was on orders for Vietnam four times, but each time something happened to change those orders...so I unwittingly escaped having that traumatic experience.

  My great grandfather, was also in the infantry. In fact, he was just a kid and was too young to carry a musket, so he became a drummer-boy, and he witnessed Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.  One of his memories that stayed with him and was passed on to me by my grandfather was of seeing a cannonball bounding across the open field.  A Union trooper put out his foot to stop it--much as you would trap a soccer ball--and it took his leg off above the knee. Isn't it odd what our minds choose to capture and hold onto forever?

  My long deceased father-in-law, Donald Downs, was also in the infantry.  He landed at Normandy on D-plus One as a platoon sergeant in the 29th Inf.Div. and spent the following 30 days fighting in the bocage (bulwark like hedgerows) behind Normandy.  During that time he was awarded two Bronze Stars and a Silver Star....before getting his arm shot off by a German sniper.  Life in the infantry takes about all you have each and every day.  And, it makes a huge difference in one's ability to endure each day if you feel good about the folks at home rooting for you, and have confidence that the chain of command is always looking out for your interests. 

  So, when the news story broke about the Russians paying bounties to the Taliban for killing American and Afghan soldiers...and some civilians too, apparently.....it really hit me in the gut.  I could easily believe that Putin was capable of this kind of dastardly deed.  He's an evil weasel, and out to destroy America as a super-power in a thousand different ways.  But, the idea that our esteemed president was absolved of any responsibility doesn't fly.  As the good ol' boys down south have been heard to say, "That dog won't hunt."  Nah.

  There is plenty of evidence coming to the fore that proves ol' Donny boy was briefed and knew this was happening.  He may have ignored a daily briefing paper with this in it...because he has the lazy habit of refusing to read anything that isn't about him....but HE KNEW.  They have even found the money-trail from the GRU to the Taliban. This happened.  And His Cheetoness made a choice to ignore it because he didn't want to piss-off his good buddy, Vlad.  In the several months after this was known to be occurring, Donny-boy had at least four phone conversations with Putin.  Putting bounties on American soldiers was apparently not mentioned.  I refer you to the last post before this one.....for a glimpse of the Putin-Trump relationship. 

 What I want to know is this: if the commander-in-chief knew information that could have saved a single American soldier or marine from getting killed......and did nothing to act on that....then why, for the love of God, is he not a fucking TRAITOR?




No comments: