Monday, April 19, 2010

Upcountry Harbinger

This is a painting of a farm in northwestern Maine that I photographed two summers ago.  The title is derived from the farm not the geese, and it alludes to the fact that the farm is no longer really a farm, but is slowly being enveloped by the forest.  Whoever owns it probably comes up to spend time in 'Vacationland' and has no idea that the barn is already 'surrounded' in part.

The photographic record that I have been making for the last 30+ years is rife with images of farms gone by, and along with them is the clear knowledge that an entire way of life is disappearing.  You cannot really blame new generations coming along for not wanting to be farmers.  It is one helluva hard way to make a living and most farmers in this part of the world just scrape by and work hard to do so.  But, when the entire agricultural industry is in the hands of Montsanto, Dow, Exxon, DuPont et al, and farms have all been absorbed into corporate conglomerates that hire the people who used to live on them to run the equipment and apply the copious amounts of chemicals that 'Agribusiness' feels are the life-blood of food production now.....I guarantee you that big problems are headed this a way.

Don't believe it.......see "Food Inc."  Just a gentle nudge....you will be amazed and outraged.

FWIW: somebody--I know not whom--unsubscribed after my last post...about the nukes, of course. I can only hope that I offended them outrageously and that they are of the 'birther', 'truther', 'tea bagger' and other similar ilk.  It is my clear intent to offend such people...and I am doing my best to do it well.   Any offense I might send their way is MICROSCOPIC compared with how offensive I find their attitudes.

2 comments:

Painting the Light said...

Murad, this is beautiful. It looks sort of familiar, but maybe that's just because it's such a classic old Maine farm. Where is it? I've driven a lot of back roads in search of inspiration; it's possible that I've seen this one in real life.

It is a shame that all the old farms are disappearing. I've noticed over the last few years that most of the old barns I remember from my childhood are falling down. People don't even bother to tear them down, they just let them collapse into a pile of rubble. It makes me so sad.

Anonymous said...

Murad - You might take a look at a wonderful (if dark) series of photographs and videos on the subject of the family farm in Iowa by a talented documentarian, Danny Wilcox Frazier.

http://mediastorm.org/0025.htm